Notice is hereby given of the call for expressions of interest to serve as a co-editor of Archaeologies, WAC’s journal, for a four-year term, beginning February, 2013. WAC members interested in standing for this position are now invited to send a short CV and a statement of intention (mx 400 words), describing editorial background as well as editorial skills that would strengthen the journal according to WAC’s principles. These documents shall be sent to the WAC Executive (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than December, 15th 2012. Selected applicants attending WAC-7 will be interviewed in Jordan; those not attending will be interviewed via Skype.
Position Description – Journal Editor(s)
The Journal Editor(s) are responsible for the timely and high quality production of Archaeologies. Journal of the World Archaeological Congress, which is the banner journal for the organization.
This is an appointed position. The Editor(s) are accountable to the elected office bearers of the WAC Executive.
- Where possible, attend meetings of the WAC Executive, Council, and Assembly.
- Plan the content of the journal.
- Develop the journal so that it obtains and maintains Rate A ISI accreditation.
- Solicit articles from an international pool of authors.
- Solicit guest editors from an international pool.
- Design and arrange for a Forum section.
- Check the acceptability of rewritten submissions with authors before sending out for review.
- Arrange peer review (a minimum of two reviews per article) from an international pool.
- Negotiate with the editorial staff at Springer.
- Assist authors, reviewers, and guest editors in using the automated Springer system.
- Organize and present the results of the reviews to authors.
- Make article selection decisions based on the reviews. (The Editor-in-Chief has the final decision, though, and is not required to follow the recommendation of the reviewers).
- Final proofing of table of contents, front matter and back matter.
- Set and enforce deadlines.
- Act as official representative of Archaeologies as needed.
- Respond to all Archaeologies correspondence, forwarding correspondence as needed.
- Maintain the Editorial Board mailing list.
- Maintain contact with authors about the status of their submission.
- Select, appoint and dismiss Editorial Board members and other volunteers who participate in the production of the journal (e.g. abstract translators).
- Contribute information on the journal to WAC’s annual report.
- Identify potential professional opportunities for the organisation and its members.
Skills and Experience
Demonstrated commitment to WAC’s aims and activities.
Experience within WAC organisational structure.
Experience as an editor.
Excellent organisational and forward planning skills.
Excellent written communication skills.
An understanding of contemporary socio political issues in archaeology.
Understanding of the issues faced by Indigenous groups and people in economically disadvantaged countries, and of the challenges of cross-cultural communication.