The Department of Historical Studies is seeking to make two appointments at either Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level. Preference will be given to applicants who specialise in one or more of the following fields: modern economic history, African History (outside South Africa), transnational and/or comparative history especially in Africa and the southern world (ie Latin America, Asia, Indian Ocean).
- A PhD in History or an appropriate cognate discipline or (for lecturer level) proof of near completion of a PhD
- Active research and evidence of academic publication
- Appropriate teaching experience at tertiary level
Familiarity with digital and new media teaching technologies would be advantageous.
- Teaching and curriculum planning at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Postgraduate supervision
- Active research and publication
- Administrative responsibilities at Department level
The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is as follows:
Lecturer: R403 124
Senior Lecturer: R494 716
Appointment will take place in alignment with the Faculty’s requirements for performance at each rank.
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, to Miss Shandre Swain, Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700.
Department website: https://historicalstudiesuct.wordpress.com/
The application form can also be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Closing date for applications: 14 October 2011
Reference number for this position: SR185/11
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.